Light, Medium, & Heavy Towing Services in Greenville, SC
Safely and Securely Tow Your Vehicle With Hawkins Towing
Hawkins Towing is your go-to source for reliable and efficient towing services in Greenville, SC, and the surrounding areas. As a family-owned business with over two decades of experience, we have the expertise, equipment, and dedication to customer service to handle all of your towing needs.
Learn about the differences between light, medium, and heavy towing, and how to determine which type of tow truck is right for your situation. We’ll also talk about the importance of weight in tow, how to prepare your vehicle for towing, and the benefits of calling a professional towing service.
What Are Truck Classifications?
Truck classifications are based on the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle. The GVWR is the maximum weight a vehicle is designed to carry, including the weight of the vehicle itself, any passengers, and any cargo.
Trucks are typically classified into one of three categories: light-duty, medium-duty, or heavy-duty. Here’s a quick breakdown of each category:
- Light-duty vehicles have a GVWR of fewer than 16,000 pounds. Examples of light-duty vehicles include passenger cars, small trucks, and SUVs.
- Medium-duty vehicles have a GVWR between 16,001 and 26,000 pounds. Examples of medium-duty vehicles include RVs, box trucks, and vans.
- Heavy-duty vehicles have a GVWR of more than 26,001 pounds. Examples of heavy-duty vehicles include semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and dump trucks.
The Importance of Weight in Towing
The weight of a vehicle plays a crucial role in determining the type of tow truck that is required to transport it. Light-duty tow trucks, for example, are not equipped to handle heavy-duty vehicles, and attempting to do so can be dangerous and damaging to both the vehicle and the tow truck.
It’s important to accurately determine the weight of your vehicle before arranging for a tow. This can usually be found in the owner’s manual or on a label located on the door jamb or inside the driver’s side door.
How To Prepare Your Vehicle for Towing
If you’re planning on having your vehicle towed, there are a few steps you can take to prepare it for the journey.
First, make sure the vehicle is in good working order. If the vehicle has a dead battery, flat tire, or any other mechanical issues, it will need to be addressed before it can be safely transported.
Next, remove any personal belongings or valuables from the vehicle. This includes items such as electronics, jewelry, and documents.
Finally, make sure the vehicle is secure. This includes locking all doors and windows and securing any loose items in the trunk or cargo area.
Light-duty vs. Medium-duty
Light-duty towing refers to the transportation of small and lightweight vehicles such as passenger cars, small trucks, and SUVs. Light-duty tow trucks are typically equipped with a cable system and winch for towing, and may also use the dolly towing technique, which involves attaching an additional dolly to the back of the tow truck to support the weight of the vehicle being transported.
Medium-duty towing refers to the transportation of larger and heavier vehicles such as RVs, box trucks, and vans. Medium-duty tow trucks are equipped with specialized equipment such as boom lifts, atolls, and low-profile trailers or flatbeds to accommodate the size and weight of the vehicles being transported.
Which Type of Tow Truck Is Right for You?
The type of tow truck you’ll need will depend on the weight of your vehicle and the services you require. If you’re unsure which type of tow truck is right for you, don’t hesitate to give us a call at Hawkins Towing. Our team of professionals will be happy to assess your needs and recommend the best course of action.
Benefits of Calling a Towing Service
There are many benefits to calling a professional towing service such as Hawkins Towing. Here are a few of the top reasons to give us a call:
- Safety — Towing can be a dangerous task, especially for inexperienced drivers. By calling a professional towing service, you can ensure that your vehicle is transported safely and securely.
- Save Time — Towing can be a time-consuming process, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the process or the equipment involved. By calling a towing service, you can save time and get back on the road faster.
- Expertise — Towing companies like Hawkins Towing have the expertise and equipment to handle a wide range of towing and roadside assistance needs. From heavy-duty towing to simple flat tire changes, we have the skills and tools to get the job done right.
- Convenience — Whether you’re stranded on the side of the road or need to transport your vehicle to a repair shop, a towing service can provide the convenience you need. With our 24/7 availability, you’ll never be stranded for long.
Are Towing Services Expensive?
The cost of towing services can vary depending on several factors such as distance, weight, and the type of services required. At Hawkins Towing, we pride ourselves on offering affordable rates and transparent pricing. Contact us for a quote and let us help you get back on the road at a price that fits your budget.
Our Other Services
At Hawkins Towing, we offer a wide range of towing and roadside assistance services to meet all of your needs. Here’s a quick overview of the services we offer:
- Wrecker Services — If you’ve been involved in a collision or are experiencing vehicle issues such as overheating or transmission failure, our wrecker services can help.
- Roadside Assistance — If you’re stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire, dead battery, or any other issue, our roadside assistance services can help. We offer services such as tire changes, jump starts, gas delivery, and more.
- Towing Services — Whether you need to transport your vehicle to a repair shop or simply need to get it off the road, our towing services can help.
- Load Shift Assistance — If you’re a truck driver who has experienced a load shift, we can help secure your cargo and get you back on the road safely.
- Heavy Hauling — For all of your heavy-duty towing needs, we offer services for transporting construction equipment, oilfield equipment, industrial equipment, military equipment, excavators, and more.
Get the Help You Need, When You Need It
If you’re in need of towing or roadside assistance services, don’t hesitate to reach out to Hawkins Towing. Our team is ready and able to help you get back on the road safely and efficiently. No matter what your needs are, we have the tools and expertise to handle them. Give us a call today and let us take the stress out of your roadside situation.